The dinosaur egg sushi is not like what it sounds. You may imagine a gigantic egg served on a plate that will take some time to eat. Instead, this dish is made using a quail egg. The egg is boiled and then filled with avocado, sushi rice, vinegar, salt, and wasabi. It is then wrapped in nori seaweed and shaped into an oval.
The egg is then covered with a layer of masago fish eggs and served with soy sauce and pickled ginger. Many people say that the origin of this dish is from the Edo period in Japan. It was created as a way to eat raw eggs without the risk of salmonella poisoning. The quail eggs were thought to be safer to eat than chicken eggs because they were smaller and had harder shells.
Table of Contents
Special tips to eat a dinosaur egg
The traditional way to eat a dinosaur egg is by using chopsticks. The sushi will be placed on a small dish in front of you. You will then use your chopsticks to pick up a piece of the sushi and dip it into the soy sauce. Once you have done this, you will then place the sushi in your mouth and enjoy the flavor. On the other hand, some people like to add wasabi to their dinosaur eggs, which gives them an extra kick.
Why do people love the dinosaur egg sushi?
There are several reasons why this dish has become immensely popular among sushi lovers:
- First of all, it is visually appealing. The bright orange of the egg yolk contrasted with the green of the nori seaweed makes for a beautiful presentation. It is one of those typical Instagramable dishes that many people post on their social media profiles.
- The flavor of the egg compliments the flavor of the sushi rice perfectly. The richness of the yolk pairs perfectly with the vinegar-flavored rice.
- The dish is simply fun to eat. The contrast in textures between the crunchy exterior and the soft interior makes for an enjoyable eating experience.
Drinks to order along with dinosaur egg sushi
You can pair your dinosaur egg sushi with any of these three drinks for a perfect meal:
- The first option is cold sake. Sake is a traditional Japanese rice wine that is characteristically smooth and slightly sweet. It’s the perfect beverage to enjoy with sushi, as its delicate flavors won’t overwhelm the taste of the food. Plus, the chilly temperature will help to refresh your palate between bites.
- If you’re looking for something non-alcoholic, consider ordering a cup of hot green tea. Green tea has a light, grassy flavor that pairs well with savory dishes like sushi. It’s also packed with antioxidants, thus making it a healthy drink option.
- If you want something a little sweeter to drink with your dinosaur egg, try a can of unsweetened iced tea.
The dinosaur egg is definitely going to be a unique and interesting experience for any sushi lover. You can even impress your friends and family if you manage to make it at home.