Considering trying some sushi? As a novice to this delicacy, you should know that there are different varieties of sushi preparation styles. One way to prepare sushi is in the form of a sushi roll. A sushi roll, maki or makizushi is basically sushi prepared in the form of a roll. A maki is usually prepared using several ingredients including (but not limited to) sushi rice that is flavored with vinegar, seafood, raw fish, vegetables and other sauces. These ingredients are then usually wrapped in thin sheets of seaweed (nori).
Depending on the culinary creativity of the chef, they can also be wrapped with other things such as soy paper, perilla leaves, cucumber or even a thin omelet. For a sushi roll to be formed, the prepared delicacy is then formed into a roll using a bamboo mat that is known as a makisu.
There are several types of sushi rolls with one of the most popular being the winter roll sushi. Below, we will provide a simple yet detailed recipe for preparing winter sushi rolls sourced from acclaimed foodie – Martha Stewart.
Recipe for Winter Roll Sushi
NOTE: If you follow this recipe, it will yield 24 winter sushi rolls.
• 7 ounces of rice noodles
• 24 rice wrappers made of paper
Ingredients for the Rice & Vinegar Mixture
• ½ teaspoon of table salt
• 2 tablespoons of sugar
• 4 tablespoons of cooking wine
• 6 tablespoons of seasoned rice-wine vinegar
Ingredients for the Rolls
• ½ cup of mint leaves
• A small bunch of chives that is cut into 3-inch lengths
• 1 cucumber that has been peeled, seeded and then cut into 3-inch lengths
• ½ of a small jicama that has been peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
Ingredients for the Dipping Sauce
• 1 tablespoon of finely grated carrots
• 1 small red chili pepper
• ¼ teaspoon of fish sauce
Directions for Preparing Your Winter Roll Sushi
- First, combine the rice-wine vinegar, cooking wine, salt and sugar in a bowl
- Boil a pot of water, add the rice noodles and let them cook until they are tender. This should take about 3 minutes. Drain water from the cooked rice noodles and transfer them into a bowl
- Next, measure 2 tablespoons of the rice-wine-cooking wine-salt-sugar mixture and pour it over the noodles then set them aside. Place the jicama and cucumbers in a bowl and then combine with 2 tablespoons of the rice-wine-cooking wine-salt-sugar mixture.
- Look for a medium-sized bowl and fill it with warm water. Dip a few of the rice wrappers at a time into the bowl until they become malleable. Place the rice wrapper on a clean towel and then arrange a small scooping of the rice noodles, 4 cucumber pieces, 2 jicama pieces, a few mint leaves and 1 piece of chive across the bottom quarter of the rice wrapper.Roll each wrapper tightly and fold at the ends. When done, place the roll on a plate that is lined with damp paper towels. Repeat this process until you have used up all of your wrappers. Ensure that you keep the wrappers covered with damp paper towels till you are ready to serve the delicacy.
- To prepare the dipping sauce, take the remaining rice-wine-cooking wine-salt-sugar mixture and add fish sauce, chili pepper and grated carrot.
- Before serving your winter roll sushi, cut each roll into half diagonally and arrange them on a serving plate with the dipping sauce.
Voila! You can now enjoy your winter roll sushi.